HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Re: 3par Vs...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:38 pm 

hdtvguy wrote:
My experience with vmware is while their virtualization product features are very stable and mature, many of their other features and and product are not. They also seem to think they are a small startup that can change on a dime like no enterprises are using their products yet. Every release of vsphere HBR has made fundamental changes to how it works, often having negative impact on how we use it and the impact it has to us. So much so that we will not use it going forward.

There are not a lot of companies that truly understand how to build and market real Enterprise grade products. That does not mean many companies can't do it, they just have lower standards for measuring impact. It also depends what the target customer demo is, smaller customers can often be more nimble, bigger companies often can not. This is part of my 3par issues, their heritage is niche/start-up like and HP is still working to get them in the real Enterprise way of thinking. The product managers I have dealt with get it, but many legacy 3par folks do not.

Back to vmware, I have very little confidence in vmware's software define storage apps due to the number of QA issues I have seen from them that have had direct impact to my environment. It could also be that I am old bastard, but I will stay old school where possible, dedicate storage even for my smaller locations. Additionally vmware loves to change license models that create more revenue for them, look at recent ROBO license changes (BTW third change in less than 2 years) that in some cases mean a 4X increase in cost. one day you are locked into them the next day they change the license and start charging you per TB or something and your costs go up.

I am sure there are valid use cases for SDS, but for me I will let the dust settle.

Agreed on the VMware stuff. They love to change things. Look at what they've done with SSO. three major changes in the last three versions. And the changes coming in vsphere 6 put me against best practices. Reason? I have two sites with SSO in each, but SSO resides on vcenter. When I upgrade to vsphere 6, vcenter will configure the new PBC or whatever they call it to match my SSO configuration (which is a quite normal configuration). But the best practice says that for multiple sites you should separate out the controller.

Thanks VMware. Make a change, and provide literally no migration path to stay within your recommended best practices.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:40 am 

Schmoog wrote:

Agreed on the VMware stuff. They love to change things. Look at what they've done with SSO. three major changes in the last three versions. And the changes coming in vsphere 6 put me against best practices. Reason? I have two sites with SSO in each, but SSO resides on vcenter. When I upgrade to vsphere 6, vcenter will configure the new PBC or whatever they call it to match my SSO configuration (which is a quite normal configuration). But the best practice says that for multiple sites you should separate out the controller.

Thanks VMware. Make a change, and provide literally no migration path to stay within your recommended best practices.

Not to get too far off track, but yes fully agree. I am in no rush to get to v6 as I am sure too many radical changes are in store. I always wished MS would have taken their heads out of their butts and really gone head to head with VMware. They say they do on paper, but in reality I would never run my datacenter on Hyper-V. We had too many Hyper-V issues on 2 node clusters at our remote locations to risk 900+ VMs on Hyper-V.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:03 pm 

I actually like the vsphere 6 changes to SSO, especially the certificate management piece (what could be easier than making it a subordinate CA and letting it manage its own certs, it's what should have been there for 5.1). The changes to best practices is annoying, but as long as they don't invalidate a previously provided configuration it really doesn't matter because as always best practices are really just "our suggested way to do things" and the more important aspect is what their support engineers and developers can and will troubleshoot and support.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:28 am 

Chaps,

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I didnt get notified that responses where coming through and assumed it wasnt a topic many were interested in.

Thank you all for the responses... Schmoog... really good insight into your experiences, I really appreciate the time and effort.

I am much in the same position... I dont want to do vMSC but all the demos have got everyone gee'd up wanting to splash the cash for something that looks like the bees knees from a demo... I am hoping since you deployed its become a little more slick and easier to manage.

I have just about managed to shake off the software defined storage guy who actually knew nothing and was just trying to put his opinion into a conversation that really didnt concern him. As soon as we went for a deeper dive he wanted to come back up and ran away.

This forum and the experiences of the people here are proving invaluable to me... thank you so much.

Look forward to some vMSC with 3Par questions coming!

Roo Out