HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par Vs...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:02 am 

Guys,

Can you give me collateral that could help me doing a comparison between 3par Remote Copy and Peer Persistence with SAN Storage Virtualisation technologies such as VMware VSAN/Datacore/etc?

In the context of a vMSC deployment and non vMSC deployment.

Roo

Post subject: Re: 3par Vs...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Tough request... SAN VS Software defined storage. I am interested to see what everyone thinks of this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 am 

Hi Richard... Indeed it is interesting...

Do you have any opinions/experiences yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 am 

Maybe you need to narrow the focus a little as there are two many points for comparison.

The fundamental point though is Datacore is a DIY / Roll Your Own software solution you can put on any industry standard server & storage hardware. Whereas HP 3PAR is more of an engineered solution with the hardware and software being closely coupled for greater reliabilty / availability / serviceability / performance / scalability etc. You can do similar things with SDS based models (HP have StoreVirtual in this category) but you typically have to throw a lot more hardware at the problem than is initially assumed to achieve the same levels as above, at which point any cost advantage typically evaporates and complexity creeps in.

I haven't seen Datacore on the VMware Metro Storage Cluster HCL, only for SRM (which 3PAR also supports) although it may be possible to do a psuedo vMSC by splitting nodes over short distance, it'd be more like a Netapp MetroCluster with a single point of failure per site at the controller level. So more of a halfway house than a fully redundant and integrated VMware supported solution. BTW 3PAR's VMware integration is second to none.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Rooey wrote:

No experience with the software defined storage, but i'll share my opinions. Solutions are looking for a problem and a budget, and the goal is to pair them up well. I have 7 different hammers in my garage... I can pound nails with all of them =)

I believe for a large scale deployment where uptime AND performance are critical, with access to a mediocre workforce, dedicated SAN arrays are a good fit. The more complex and unique a solution is, the harder it is to train and replace people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm 

Richard Siemers wrote:
Rooey wrote:

No experience with the software defined storage, but i'll share my opinions. Solutions are looking for a problem and a budget, and the goal is to pair them up well. I have 7 different hammers in my garage... I can pound nails with all of them =)

I believe for a large scale deployment where uptime AND performance are critical, with access to a mediocre workforce, dedicated SAN arrays are a good fit. The more complex and unique a solution is, the harder it is to train and replace people.

Fully agree. I believe software defined storage is for some specific use cases, but would never trust anything business critical IO intensive to it. Give me a real SAN every day! Every abstraction layer adds complexity and overhead, software defined storage is no differnt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 am 

If you have requirements that can be solved with vSphere Metro Cluster, vSAN is a non-starter.
vSAN do not currently support fault domains, ie control of where the copy is placed.
If you need a site to site HA solution, Peer Persistance is the only solution as of now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:46 am 

One specific use case I'm looking as it a deployment of multiple 7000-series nodes over iSCSI (I know it's a 4-letter word) and using the RCIP ports which can't keep up because of the change rates. In this case utilizing Server 2012 with CSV (cluster-shared volumes) can work-around this design limitation by using the 10gig interfaces for the replication.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 am 

Rooey wrote:
Guys,

Can you give me collateral that could help me doing a comparison between 3par Remote Copy and Peer Persistence with SAN Storage Virtualisation technologies such as VMware VSAN/Datacore/etc?

In the context of a vMSC deployment and non vMSC deployment.

Roo

Roo,

I've actually been thinking about this particular topic for quite a long time, and I wanted to thoroughly think it over before I responded to your post so that I could do it justice.

First, let's think about the whole vMSC vs traditional replication. Personally, I previously implemented a "vMSC" (such a thing was not a thing at the time, but I built a similar concept) using merged fabrics, stretched clusters, and HP EVA's with synchronous replication. The only difference between what I built, and the current "vMSC" (which again was not a thing at the time), is that the vMSC has automatic failover of the arrays, where HP EVA's didn't (and don't) do that. When I replaced the EVA's with 3PAR, I split the fabrics, switched to asyncronous replication over IP, and set up dedicated clusters in each site, and use SRM to orchestrate failover/failback.

Why? A number of reasons. For one, keeping a vMSC optimal is a MAJOR PITA. It is very easy for a VM to end up in one site, and it's storage to stay in the other for instance. This can lead to major performance issues depending on the distance between sites. Which brings me to problem number 2. I operate a private fiber ring. My two data centers are about 4 miles apart by car. In terms of the fiber run, I had about 9km in one direction around the ring, and about 60km in the other direction. Because of the nature of fiber, I was unable to obtain a 4Gbps FC SFP that would shoot 60km, and in order to do that I would have had to use active DWDM (Like a Cisco ONS15454 at the time) which was cost prohibitive. Which meant that even though I had two fabrics, both fabrics used the same fiber path, which means a single point of failure. NG. So now that I'm using IP instead of FC for my replication, this is no longer an issue, which means even though the speed is lower, my replication traffic is now more robust, not less. Which brings me to my next point, networking. I don't know how much anybody here gets involved in networking, but I am deeply so. In this case, I have to agree with Ivan Pepelnjak (if anybody here follows him), that a VLAN, no matter how many big chassis switches you're using, represents a single failure domain. Further, layer 2 data center interconnect (DCI) actually makes things more complex, and more failure prone, not less. So now that I've gotten rid of all that (thanks to the ability of SRM to change the IP addresses of VM's during failover), my network is more stable, less complex, and easier to manage.

The long and the short of it regarding vMSC: It is hideously expensive to implement, hideously complex to operate, and in my humble opinion, quite failure prone due to the complexity, and the networking hacks (L2 DCI namely) that you need to implement to make it work. And what do you get in return for all this? The ability to migrate a VM from one DC to another, and a lower RTO. This is a case where you NEED to persuade your bosses to be realistic when it comes to their RTO's, and follow the sun VM mobility is frankly not all it's cracked up to be. Believe me, I've been to the mountaintop. It makes for cool demos, is impressive to the pencil pushers, but it literally never provided any benefit to my operations.

Now, let's talk a bit about hyper-convergence (AKA VSAN, EVO:RAIL, StoreVirtual VSA, Simplivity, Nutanix, HP 200-HC, etc etc). Hyper converged architectures are neat in that they provide all your compute, storage, and even networking depending on how you do it, in one neat box. The problem I have with hyper-converged stuff is that A) It is in some cases EXTREMELY expensive (I'm looking at YOU simplivity, nutanix, and HP 200-HC, all of you cost nearly or over 100k for a "brick"). The other big problem that I have with hyper-converged stuff is that it doesn't scale correctly. Now, if anyone on here has been drinking the kool-aid, please refrain from flaming me. I didn't say it doesn't scale, it does, I said it doesn't scale correctly. Let's look at the specs of an HP CS240-HC for instance. It includes 128 GB RAM per node, dual 8-core CPU's per node, 2x 10GbE and 2x 1GbE per node, and 28.8 TB shared storage (RAW. Usable is probably closer to 14-18 after RAID, ETC). let's say usable 18. Let's compare that to my current storage environment which includes 60 TB. That means I would need to scale out to 4 "bricks" to meet my storage needs. In that case I would be looking at a total of 32 ports of 10GbE, 32 Ports of 1 GbE, 2 TB of RAM, and 16 nodes. Holy overkill Batman!!! Why in the hell do I need all this compute? It is frankly, ridiculous. So my big beef with packaged hyper-convergence is that the specifications aren't aligned, and I end up with WAY WAY WAY more compute than I need just to get the storage that I need. Now you COULD build out your own "hyper-converged" platform using rackmounts, external storage shelves, and HP VSA/VMware VSAN, but if you're going to do that, it's honestly less expensive and less complex to just buy a real SAN, especially in the case of VMware VSAN which requires multicast to function properly, and a lot of networks DON'T implement multicast well at all. Plus, once you get into multiple sites, you're still using SRM, otherwise all the caveats I mentioned as it relates to vMSC apply.

Moving on to SAN virtualization!

This would be the more traditional use for DataCore SANsymphony. Some others here would include Netapp V-Series, HDS USP-V (which I think is called something else now), LSI had one, HP SVSP (R.I.P.), EMC vPLEX, blah blah blah. The story here is you put the hardware or software (depending on the vendor) in front of your arrays. Present the array storage from the array to the san virtualization appliance, and the hosts talk to the san virtualization solution. The thing I have against san virtualization is that I don't think I need it. At the end of the day, in my opinion, if you make good choices regarding your arrays, purchase well, and design well, you're not going to end up with a fractured environment with isolated silo's of storage wasting your space. So this is a classic case of evaluate your options well before you purchase, create a coherent, well-designed, well-engineered infrastructure plan, and implement that plan. If you do that, then san virtualization doesn't provide really any benefits to you.

Hope that all makes sense. Please don't flame me. These are my opinions based upon my 15 years of IT experience.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

EDIT: Holy wall of text! Sorry guys!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:28 pm 

My experience with vmware is while their virtualization product features are very stable and mature, many of their other features and and product are not. They also seem to think they are a small startup that can change on a dime like no enterprises are using their products yet. Every release of vsphere HBR has made fundamental changes to how it works, often having negative impact on how we use it and the impact it has to us. So much so that we will not use it going forward.

There are not a lot of companies that truly understand how to build and market real Enterprise grade products. That does not mean many companies can't do it, they just have lower standards for measuring impact. It also depends what the target customer demo is, smaller customers can often be more nimble, bigger companies often can not. This is part of my 3par issues, their heritage is niche/start-up like and HP is still working to get them in the real Enterprise way of thinking. The product managers I have dealt with get it, but many legacy 3par folks do not.

Back to vmware, I have very little confidence in vmware's software define storage apps due to the number of QA issues I have seen from them that have had direct impact to my environment. It could also be that I am old bastard, but I will stay old school where possible, dedicate storage even for my smaller locations. Additionally vmware loves to change license models that create more revenue for them, look at recent ROBO license changes (BTW third change in less than 2 years) that in some cases mean a 4X increase in cost. one day you are locked into them the next day they change the license and start charging you per TB or something and your costs go up.

I am sure there are valid use cases for SDS, but for me I will let the dust settle.