HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HP 3PAR OS Files on SP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:58 am 

Hello,

I wonder if someone could shed some light. I read in the 7000 Service Guide -Installing Storage System Manually section, the HP 3PAR OS files must first be installed onto the SP in order to communicate and add a storage system.

I installed a 7000, the manual way, and did not perform this step but was still able to sucessfully add the 3PAR system to the SP and perform other functions e.g. OS updates, run commands via the SP.

Does this mean the OS files were already loaded or does this step still need to be performed?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: HP 3PAR OS Files on SP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 am 

The 3PAR controller ships with the OS already installed - if it did not, it wouldn't boot/be accessible/etc.

An early step however would often involve an OS upgrade to the latest version - which you would stage by uploading it to the service processor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 am 

Thanks for your response Josh26.

This is how I understand it. If there were no 3PAR OS Files how would the storagge system boot.

I just don't understand why, when you read on how to install the Storage System Manually after you have performed the OOTB procedure and the MOB script, you need Install the 3PAR OS Files on to the SP before adding the InServ system via SPOCC.

The instructions I was orginally given did not mention this step but I had no issues adding the InServ system via the SP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:40 am 

Update;

So i found on HP's website about the contents of the VSP DVD Media for 4.1.0.GA60 (I know this is not the latest one) and it mentions

"The files are the images that VMware will use to create a Virtual Host that is running the SP 4.1 GA60 software which will have the TPD 3.1.2.278 software (InForm OS) pre-installed. "

This makes me think that a Physical Service Processor running 4.3.0 shipped pre-loaded has the necessary Inform OS Files already installed or it would have not let me add the InServ Storage.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks