HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Re: zoning advice with node pairs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:12 am 

sorry, but that is not correct Riton.

Port persistence is managed by NPIV, so as long as the zones are created contain the WWNs and not the ports (the only HP supported method), there is no need to zone in the partner port (assuming we have only 2 fabrics of course).

When it says to zone odd ports to odd fabric, and even ports to even fabric, they mean that you look at the LAST number when hooking up the ports to the switches.

so X:X:1 (or 3) goes to the ODD fabric
and X:X:2 (or 4) goes to the even fabric

After that you can zone a host to 0:2:1 and 1:2:2.
This way the host is connected to 2 fabrics, and 2 controllers, and no single point of failure exists.

If a port would fail (e.g. 0:2:1), the port persistence features will take over and port 1:2:1 will also assume the WWN address of 0:2:1.
Thus physical port 1:2:1 then has the WWN of BOTH 1:2:1 and 0:2:1. Therefore there is no need to change anything to any zone, the paths will seamlessly fail-over from one node to the other, without the host noticing (well a slight hiccup in data flow, but at least no paths that go down).

The goal is to achieve the best results by following the clients wishes. If they want to have a house build upside down standing on its chimney, it's up to you to figure out how do it, while still making it usable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:47 pm 

RitonLaBevue wrote:
To benefit from port persistence you need to zone 0:1:1 and 1:1:1 to same host port. No need to be in the same zone.

Ok, i see... "Host port"... ^^
I only zone with WWN, not port :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:12 pm 

RitonLaBevue wrote:
RitonLaBevue wrote:
To benefit from port persistence you need to zone 0:1:1 and 1:1:1 to same host port. No need to be in the same zone.

Ok, i see... "Host port"... ^^
I only zone with WWN, not port :D

Ah, i do as well :ugeek:

The goal is to achieve the best results by following the clients wishes. If they want to have a house build upside down standing on its chimney, it's up to you to figure out how do it, while still making it usable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:01 am 

Quote:

HP includes this "zoning to the port that should take over" in some of it's pdfs, throws it out in the next release, one or two releases it magically re-appears, and so on. We tried - you do not need a zoning to the port taking over! All you have to take care of is that both ports are reachable within the same fabric, what you automatically have if you do the uneven/even-thing.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read ALL posts in thisthread prior to answering... Took some duplicate stuff out. :?