HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: FIrmware/ drivers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 pm 

Hi guys, recently I have implemented HP 3pAR 7200 solution using existing VMware vSPhere 5.1 and FC switches but didn't check anything from driver/ firmware point of view. Can you advise what all I need to check and also point me if there is any compatibility matrix website?

HP 3pAR OS: 3.2.1 Mu2
Brocade switch - 300 - OS version : v7.1.1c
VMware ESXi 5.1:

Cheers!!

Post subject: Re: FIrmware/ drivers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 pm 

Check SPOCK, it's your one stop shop for all things storage related at HP including compatibility matrices and best practices guides. It's also where you can get 3Par firmware updates once they go GA (though honestly I just let HP's techs do it once I've read the release notes and check here and a few other forums for potential issues not mentioned in the release notes).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:35 pm 

It's also the worst website ive ever had the displeasure of using, you find yourself getting caught up in circles, can never find what you need easily, it's a terrible site and I use it only as a long resort.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:45 am 

In addition to being a poster child for shoddy web design, the SPOCK site has documents that can bite your ass when you need support.

If you happen to be using HP blades with flex-fabric interconnects, you must refer to the "VC streams" document to see currently supported OS/firmware/driver combinations. This document leaves out a number of OSes and versions that show up as supported in the matrices for the storage array itself. In cases where they are on both documents, the 'supported' combinations can be inconsistent between the 2 sets of doc.

HP/3Par support and engineering are not concerned that they are not consistent. I've been battling with them for almost 2 years with no luck.

Don M.