HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3Par, SRM and VADP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:26 am 

Hi,
we have just changed from an EMC storage array to a shiny new 3PAR and so far its looking good,but i am struggling to understand the way SRM and the 3Par array work correctly especially when it comes to VADP nodes (Windows servers) the issue i have is possibly related to the set up of the exported LUN's at both the protected and recovery site.

below is a step by step guide to what i am doing;

1) Set a vv up at Site1 with an ID of 10 for the ESX server host set and an ID of 10 for the VADP Backup node host set
2) set up the remote copy of this vv and present the replicated vv at site2 to the DR equivalent host sets for DR esx servers and DR VADP storage node host sets with the same ID of 10
3) Setup & Run the SRM recovery plan (real not test)
4) SRM works fine - The vv becomes unexported from both host sets at Site1 and overwrites any configuration set on the copy at Site2 (that is now the live RW vv) by using the first available ID on the DR esx host set and completely removes any config for the vv on the DR VADP host set, the SRm prcess works ok with the protected VM's working well but Does this mean that after an SRM plan has run i have to re-export the vv's affected to the DR VADP host set before i can tell the backup software to do a backup at Site2? I'd rather not introduce further manual actions into the process so if it can be preconfigured as part of the remote copy setup

5) When the SRM is reprotected and SRM is initiated to fail the protected vv's back to Site1, the same thing occurs, it take no previous config into account, does not export the vv's back to the primary VADP node host set and picks the first availabe ID number to use to export to the primary ESX host set.

Am i doing something wrong in assuming that the vv's at the remote site can be preconfigured to talk to the SR site ready for a failover and i have to manually (or script) the addition of vv's to a host set for any servers that are not ESX hosts such as the VADP backups?

Sorry for the long post and hopefully it makes sense what i am trying to achieve and someone can help me or point me in the direction of a detailed technical paper that explains when should happen to the vv's on the 3PAR during SRM and how VADP nodes are affected.

Thanks in advance
Gav

Post subject: Re: 3Par, SRM and VADP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:12 am 

You observations are as expected. SRM does not preserve or care about your VADP presentation nor what SCSI IDs to use, it will use next available. Also SRM knows nothing about host sets, it exports to the individual hosts.