HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: How do I unitialise the 3par?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 am 

Hi,

I have a 3Par with no data on it, but IP address has been set. The current VSP is broken. So I am starting up a new one, but going through the setup wizard, I get error message that wizard cannot find a 3Par that has not been initialised.

So how do I uninitialise the 3par? I was checking the forum and some have mention rebirth, is it the same thing?

Thanks much for the help.

Post subject: Re: How do I unitialise the 3par?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:46 pm 

Wenq wrote:
Hi,

I have a 3Par with no data on it, but IP address has been set. The current VSP is broken. So I am starting up a new one, but going through the setup wizard, I get error message that wizard cannot find a 3Par that has not been initialised.

So how do I uninitialise the 3par? I was checking the forum and some have mention rebirth, is it the same thing?

Thanks much for the help.

In order for you to reinitalize the array you will most likely need to call into support. You must have the password for "console" access in order to reinitialize the array....

Your other alternative is that if you are using the VSP, create a new vsp and launch the console tab for the vm. Once at the SP00000 login prompt, type root and click enter(does not require a password).

You can moment of birth(initialize the VSP) via this process and when it asks for the SN of the array enter the 7 digit(16XXXXXsn). It will then state that there is no unitialized array found. Select to continue MOB despite these errors. Once the MOB is complete launch the SPOCC gui, select spmaint, option 3(storeserv configuration management), add new inserv, type the IP of the array and then use 3paradm and the password you assigned(3pardata is default).

You should be all set :)

Let me know if you have any questions

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 pm 

You shouldn't need to re-initialize the array to do this.

When you initialize the VSP, there should be an option that you are replacing a service processor. If you use that, it is a different process that does not require an uninitialized array.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 am 

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

To Schmoog: there is an option to replace the VSP, but that requires the old VSP to be up to copy the data over.

To 3parguy5414: will try the console method instead of the Setup Wizard, though I was really hoping for an easier way to just wipe out the configuration on the 3par and start again without having to contact support.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:06 am 

If you need to make a support call, I would request assistance deploying the sp to replace the old crashed one.

As far as unitializing the array, if they made it easy to do it, believe you me someone would do it accidentally on a production system, and that would be very bad for business