HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Oh what fun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 pm 

Stand up of a brand new 3par.

It came with emu 3.2.2 emu and everything worked ok...
We placed no luns on this SAN as we wanted to goto 3.3.1 emu1 and patch 24

So a few days later (san still not being used and no hosts attached or luns created)

We did an update to 3.3.1 emu1 and patch 24

Seemed to be ok accept when we came to create a new dedupe lun.....

It was not available as an option (this san only has ssd Disks installed no spinning Disk)

and neither was compression.....

Tried the normall gui and then the ssmc and not in either.

Waiting to hear from support....

Post subject: Re: Oh what fun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm 

we had a wsapi failures and I suspect this is related.

We created some dedupe luns from cli and that was fine....so its communication via the mgmt. tools not working.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:18 pm 

resolved.

Findings : #par IMC has been deprecated and can not create dedupe or compressed luns .Can view and see the luns fine.

SSMC. No amount of refreshing sorted required a stop and start of services....(we had tried this but had failed in past...so suspect that coinsided with wsapi not functioning correctly or something else)

NEW:
The dedupe databases are now stored on your production ssd's used for client data...They are no longer databases held on the internal Disks held in each NODE. U can see this Disk in the IMC mgmt. tool but is hidden in the ssmc.

I have asked our account manager at HPE why we have to "Pay" for this storage when I would expect it to be held on internal mgmt Disks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 am 

sjm wrote:
resolved.

Findings : #par IMC has been deprecated and can not create dedupe or compressed luns .Can view and see the luns fine

I have asked our account manager at HPE why we have to "Pay" for this storage when I would expect it to be held on internal mgmt Disks

3.2.1 was the last OS that officially supported IMC.

What do you mean by dedupe database? Are you talking about the DDS? In that case it has never been on the internal node disk and considering that all deduped data are stored there, where would you expect it to be stored?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm 

Yes 3.2.1 was last supported...but its worked on Dedupe luns etc on 3.2.2 emu4 fine its only going to 3.3.1 that you really are forced to use ssmc.

As to the Dedupe database...All our ssd Sans on 3.2.2 running dedupe there is visible DDS showing in IMC or ssmc....on 3.3.1 using the IMC it is viewable (should have been hidden in my opinion)....so because 3.3.1. is designed only for ssmc they have not hidden from view in the IMC util.

Was very surprised to see it...since its a thin provisioned lun showing 64TB in max size.

I will use imc to keep an eye on it since its hidden in ssmc view.

The reason I find it strange to have the dedupe DB on production Disk..as to me its like what an IBM Datacenter(cloud) did.....they had backup luns for customer data on the same SAN as the customers.....not a good idea and san died.
I believe a degree of separation and replication between the nodes on SSD's in the nodes makes far more sense...but I understand the logic as the DDS can grow very quickly and would not be practical to try and have a large ssd internal on the nodes as this would limit the size it could go to.....Pros and cons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:00 am 

I'm slightly confused by the point referring to dedupe DB(DDS) being on production disks? Unless I am misunderstanding.

Why would you want the shared data space stored other than your production disks? If you lost the private space (the non-dedup data) the dedup stuff would be useless regardless of where it is. Would it not?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 am 

The DDS stores the deduplicated data from your volumes, i.e if there's a duplicate match a copy is placed in the DDS and the volume data is replaced with a pointer to this common data in the DDS. So your shared data is contained within the DDS and as such is stored on your disks. There is also additional metadata (admin space) associated with all stored data which is triple mirrored for resiliency.