HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: How do you handle updating many arrays
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 am 

We have around 50 3Par arrays at different locations around the world and I am curious how others deal with HPE and the upgrade process for that many systems. My experience has been that the upgrades, when coordinated with the 3par-sps group, take a couple of weeks to get scheduled and 2-3 hours to execute. Each array takes time to create fill out the Excel upgrade document and it quickly becomes work that takes months to finish. Do you self-install patches and leave maintenance updates to HPE?

Post subject: Re: How do you handle updating many arrays
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 pm 

cbuxton wrote:
We have around 50 3Par arrays at different locations around the world and I am curious how others deal with HPE and the upgrade process for that many systems. My experience has been that the upgrades, when coordinated with the 3par-sps group, take a couple of weeks to get scheduled and 2-3 hours to execute. Each array takes time to create fill out the Excel upgrade document and it quickly becomes work that takes months to finish. Do you self-install patches and leave maintenance updates to HPE?

Personally....the HPE techs drive me crazy with how slow they work and lack of time tables. I've routeinly had techs leave due to "end of shift' and spend a full day working on what I considered to be a minor upgrade.

I use HPE services for any major family upgrade or major code releases that have experienced bugs. Currently, that means any 3.3.1 upgrades. Minor patch upgrades and firmware updates I read the review notes on, if it applies to my situation I do the upgrade myself.