HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Connectivity
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 am 

Hi all,

Upgraded the 3PAR 8440 to OS 3.3.1. I can connect via a CLI session ok, but if I try and connect using Putty (SSH) the response "server disconnected session" come back. It worked prior to the upgrade ok.

Also the HP IMC no longer connects since the upgrade. I can use the SSMC ok. I have all unencrypted ports disabled, and there is no firewall in place to block the connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Connectivity
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am 

IMC is only supported up to 3.2.2 on 7k/10k arrays I think, any 8k/9k/20k at 3.2.2+ should be on SSMC. I'm not sure about the putty issue, maybe something cert related, not moved anything to 3.3.1 here yet. I'm sure the CLI client uses ssh too though so seems odd.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:40 am 

ailean wrote:
IMC is only supported up to 3.2.2 on 7k/10k arrays I think, any 8k/9k/20k at 3.2.2+ should be on SSMC. I'm not sure about the putty issue, maybe something cert related, not moved anything to 3.3.1 here yet. I'm sure the CLI client uses ssh too though so seems odd.

I figured as much, SSMC is ok but I really liked the IMC. SSH is still an issue though, I will look into the cert side and see what I can find.

Appreciate the info!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm 

Update your SSH client :)

Latest Putty works, most of the previous doesn't

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:08 am 
Site Admin

IMC was a great tool. While I appreciate HPe's decision to move toward SSMC to have that "unified look" that aligns with all other HPe products... they lost some functionality and ease of use along the way.

Old versions of IMC in the 2.4 era used to let you view all VV's in one list, from across all your arrays. This was great for me because it made managing a complex ESX environment that had LUNs from multiple T800s a breeze. You could sort the list by what host(s) the luns were exported too, and had a column for the array name as well. Never needed to export anything to excel, the IMC gui had all the columns and data I needed, and it was dynamic and real time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm 

Richard Siemers wrote:
IMC was a great tool. While I appreciate HPe's decision to move toward SSMC to have that "unified look" that aligns with all other HPe products... they lost some functionality and ease of use along the way.

Old versions of IMC in the 2.4 era used to let you view all VV's in one list, from across all your arrays. This was great for me because it made managing a complex ESX environment that had LUNs from multiple T800s a breeze. You could sort the list by what host(s) the luns were exported too, and had a column for the array name as well. Never needed to export anything to excel, the IMC gui had all the columns and data I needed, and it was dynamic and real time.

Indeed, they did break a few handy IMC features over the years (mostly due to rewrites to allow larger scale arrays/environments) but generally it was very admin friendly. If they'd been running SSMC when we selected 3PAR I might have been less inclined to pick it. ;)

I've yet to see a native to web GUI migration make an improvement. :roll: