HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Pulling magazines without running servicemag
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:05 pm 

On a T series is it possible to pull a magazine without using servicemag, swap a drive and put it back without any ill effects?

Post subject: Re: Pulling magazines without running servicemag
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:25 pm 

The reason I ask this question is I was told you can do that if the failed drive in the magazine has already been emptied. I was told you have 7 minutes to pull the magazine, swap the drive and put it back into the system without degradation.

Anyone ever heard of this before?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 am 
Site Admin

I haven't heard 7 minutes before.

When you do use servicemag, you have the option of evacuating the 3 good drives first, or put them in logging mode. Logging mode lets you pull a magazine of 4 drives, replace the 1 bad one, and reinstall the magazine withing a reasonably short amount of time (probably what they were referring to when someone estimated 7 minutes), without causing the entire magazine to fail and 4 drives to rebuild to spare.

Its my understanding that skipping the servicemag, and just blindy swapping a failed drive does not get the job done.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 am 

Interesting. The service provider wants to pull 3 different sleds to replace 3 drives and is adamant that it is safe. I wonder where they got this information.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:48 am 

Since year dot 3PAR systems have only allowed one drive to be replaced at a time (unless replacing all four is a single Mag).
Servicemag resume needs to have completed on the 1st disk before you can start a servicemag on a 2nd disk. That's the only way I've seen it done and that includes when we used to occasionally get one of the top 3PAR engineers in (who went on to be head of remote support after HPE bought them :) ).
Bad things happen if someone forgets to do logging or pulls the wrong mag from my experience. :roll:
There are a few bodges that can be done but I'd not go there unless no other choice (i.e. the array is already offline).