HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Where can I find files to upgrade a 5.0.2 VSP to a 5.0.3 VSP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:36 am 

We have deployed our VSPs using 3PAR_Virtual_SP_5.0.2.0-23974_VMware.iso, the virtual appliance inside our corporation's VMWare infrastructure.

I need to upgrade our 3par 8440s to 3.3.1 MU2. We are currently running 3.3.1 EMU1.

I have already upgraded the update scripts on the 3par. However, before I can go further, the VSP is giving an error that I *must* upgrade the VSP to 5.0.3 (MU3) before I can apply 3.3.1 MU2. This is my problem.

When I go into the VSP GUI and attempt to update the VSP, I get an error with literally every VSP 5.0.3 (MU3) file I can find. Checksums are all fine. Even files provided by HPE seem to be failing, and ultimately they are now coming back and saying that they have to send someone on sight to do the upgrade. That isn't acceptable for us (regulated datacenters, no one is allowed on site outside of emergency maintenance due to the type of work we do). Plus, being on site won't really help them - the host is virtual, not a physical SP.

Older VSP upgrade documents (4.x to 5.0.3) say to go into the SPmaint console and run some commands, but none of those options seem to be available in the 5.0.2 SPmaint console so that is a dead end.

I just need the actual VSP update file so I can update the VSP and continue on with the upgrade. Or am I approaching this wrong? Is the expected MO that we wipe and re-deploy VSPs instead of updating them? For us that would be a logistical nightmare (new virtual appliance code = code security reviews through our security org, and multiple tiers of QA before deployment which means a months long timeline).

It seems kinda hokey that there would be a built in update facility for the VSP that doesn't work. So, am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Where can I find files to upgrade a 5.0.2 VSP to a 5.0.3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 am 

Which upgrade file are you downloading? VSP is for deployment only, physical SP image is used to upgrade both physical and virtual SPs.

Post subject: Re: Where can I find files to upgrade a 5.0.2 VSP to a 5.0.3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:40 am 

You are my hero!

HPE had been directing me towards the VMWare files. I switched to the physical like you recommended, and it uploaded/installed just fine. Thank you!!!