Post subject: New User, What Dis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:19 pm 

Hi, I am new to the HP Storage world.

Have a couple of questions. I have the following:

729005-001 with 4GB Ram
1x 3PAR StoreServ 7200 (24 bay)
3x 3PAR Drive Shelf M6710 (24 bay)

I have a few questions:

1) Where is the best place to find documentation on this? I have been hunting HP sites for good, practical use documentation and have not located it yet. I don't want to keep asking questions if I can find a place where the answers are within reach.

2) What is the drive capacity of the drive bays that can be addressed by the Gen8 729005?

3) Do I need anything else to be able to add more shelves to this system or can I just add shelves and if so, how many?

4) What is the logical capacity of this unit?

5) What is the optimal capacity of this unit?

6) What is the life expectancy of this unit?

Post subject: Re: New User, What Dis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:05 pm 

I think that you are going at this the wrong way, but here goes.

729005-001 is the Service Processor. Primarily used for call home, notifications and upgrades. A virtual appliance exists, so if you have a VMware or Hyper-V environmemt you really don’t need this hardware.

1. see sticky thread in this forum. Most documentation is available at www.hpe.com/support/hpesc/ and search for 3par 7200.

2. 3PAR systems need 3PAR branded drives. Those are 520byte sectors and hold a special firmware available in the 3PAR OS code. I think the biggest drives you can get for SSF 7000 slots is 3.84TB SSDs… only SAS supported (as dual port is required). Google 3PAR 7000 quickspecs

3. 7200 with somewhat recent code (post-2013) supports 9 cages in addition to node cage. Google 3PAR 7000 quickspecs

4. Google 3PAR 7000 quickspecs

5. As everything it depends on configuration. You can saturate the system with a very low number of SSDs, but you can max the system with NL drives and never come near.

6. It’s enterprise storage… most people buy this with 5+years expected service…… The 7200 launched in late 2012, its replacement (3PAR 8000) launched in 2015 and HPE is ending its mainstream support services for the 7000 systems late this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:47 am 

Thank you for the information, that quickspec was exactly what I needed, and, though I have been googling about the 3PAR for a while now, that had not presented. it answers most of the questions I have about this appliance.

Am I correct in the understanding that I cannot use any other Enterprise or NAS level drive with this appliance? The documentation you pointed me at seems to suggest that the drives they specify are only compatible with the 6710 and 6720 shelves. ("HPE 3PAR StoreServ 7000 drives are sold as single drives. Note that these drives are only compatible with the M6710 and M6720 drive enclosures. "). I can find no indication or even suggestion in the documentation that these are the only drives you can use, rather a suggestion that you can purchase their drives at the time you purchase the storage appliance. I cannot even find any indication or claim that these drives will provide any advantage or extra features.

I am currently running about 1.8 PB of storage on Dell appliances and am not seeing the same requirement on that side.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:52 am 

Atley wrote:
Thank you for the information, that quickspec was exactly what I needed, and, though I have been googling about the 3PAR for a while now, that had not presented. it answers most of the questions I have about this appliance.

Am I correct in the understanding that I cannot use any other Enterprise or NAS level drive with this appliance? The documentation you pointed me at seems to suggest that the drives they specify are only compatible with the 6710 and 6720 shelves. ("HPE 3PAR StoreServ 7000 drives are sold as single drives. Note that these drives are only compatible with the M6710 and M6720 drive enclosures. "). I can find no indication or even suggestion in the documentation that these are the only drives you can use, rather a suggestion that you can purchase their drives at the time you purchase the storage appliance. I cannot even find any indication or claim that these drives will provide any advantage or extra features.

I am currently running about 1.8 PB of storage on Dell appliances and am not seeing the same requirement on that side.

You cannot put any random drive into the system. It needs to be one that the 3PAR OS recognize and have a 3PAR firmware installed. If you google 3PAR storage concepts you will get an understanding about what the 3PAR does to drives. For many of the features they implement they require their own firmware.

Next you would also require the specific drive tray for the disk to fit inside the cage.

And finally you would need it to be formatted with 520 byte sectors to enable T10 DIF which is a standard (and required) feature for 3PAR.

And just a side note. Most enterprise storage systems you are required to use "special drives". They usually cost more because you're buying "enterprise capacity", not a Seagate HDD/SSD. Same goes to other industries as well... compare the cost of a BMW 12V battery or exhaust pipes vs a Kia.... same materials and sometimes even the exact product but part of a different "solution".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:03 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
Atley wrote:

You cannot put any random drive into the system. It needs to be one that the 3PAR OS recognize and have a 3PAR firmware installed. If you google 3PAR storage concepts you will get an understanding about what the 3PAR does to drives. For many of the features they implement they require their own firmware.

Next you would also require the specific drive tray for the disk to fit inside the cage.

And finally you would need it to be formatted with 520 byte sectors to enable T10 DIF which is a standard (and required) feature for 3PAR.

And just a side note. Most enterprise storage systems you are required to use "special drives". They usually cost more because you're buying "enterprise capacity", not a Seagate HDD/SSD. Same goes to other industries as well... compare the cost of a BMW 12V battery or exhaust pipes vs a Kia.... same materials and sometimes even the exact product but part of a different "solution".

I get that I cannot put in a standard desktop or laptop drive, but can I not use any other brand of enterprise level drives? For example, I have 100 4tb Dell Enterprise drives in a box in my home office... You mean that these cannot be used with the 3PAR enclosure?

This is for a home project. I was hoping to make use of this drive setup, but if it is going to require specific drives, then it will sit until I have those drives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:48 am 

Atley wrote:
I get that I cannot put in a standard desktop or laptop drive, but can I not use any other brand of enterprise level drives? For example, I have 100 4tb Dell Enterprise drives in a box in my home office... You mean that these cannot be used with the 3PAR enclosure?

This is for a home project. I was hoping to make use of this drive setup, but if it is going to require specific drives, then it will sit until I have those drives.

You can try but if it doesn't work you know why.