HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3Par F400
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:57 am 

We have an old 3par F400 that is going strong with only a bad drive here and there.

Unfortunately the boot drive for the Service processor failed. Our 3rd party provider who supports this system can get a drive shipped, but we need to have the Service processor software.

I have a set of disks but not sure for which system they are for. I have 4 3pars in the datacenter.
The two that are up and running is the F400 and an 8200. Also have an S400 and E200, but those are shut down.

I have two service processor software boxes....
- 2.5.1 MU1 with two disks in box...SP base image 3.1.6 and the disc with 2.5.1 MU1.
- 2.5.2 GA software with two disks in box...SP base image 3.1.6, and disc with 2.5.2 GA software.

Would either of these be the software for this F400? If not which version do i need, and where do you think i could get it.

My provider is saying we can install their software monitoring system, and they can send alerts through their system. Which is one option.

are there any other options for me?

BTW...this is a physical SP in the 3par...not a VM.

Thanks for the info!
-Evan

Post subject: Re: 3Par F400
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:36 am 

evan631 wrote:
We have an old 3par F400 that is going strong with only a bad drive here and there.

Unfortunately the boot drive for the Service processor failed. Our 3rd party provider who supports this system can get a drive shipped, but we need to have the Service processor software.

I have a set of disks but not sure for which system they are for. I have 4 3pars in the datacenter.
The two that are up and running is the F400 and an 8200. Also have an S400 and E200, but those are shut down.

I have two service processor software boxes....
- 2.5.1 MU1 with two disks in box...SP base image 3.1.6 and the disc with 2.5.1 MU1.
- 2.5.2 GA software with two disks in box...SP base image 3.1.6, and disc with 2.5.2 GA software.

Would either of these be the software for this F400? If not which version do i need, and where do you think i could get it.

My provider is saying we can install their software monitoring system, and they can send alerts through their system. Which is one option.

are there any other options for me?

BTW...this is a physical SP in the 3par...not a VM.

Thanks for the info!
-Evan

Long story short... It could be either of them and it could be none of them.

The version of the SP is linked to the version installed on the 3PAR. What Inform OS version is the F400 running?

I think the F-class launched with 2.3.1 which was bundled with SP 2.5.1 but supported Inform OS 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

The general matrix if my memory serves me right was:
Inform OS 2.3.1 + SP 2.5.1
Inform OS 3.1.1 + SP 2.5.2
Inform OS 3.1.2 + SP 4.1
Inform OS 3.1.3 + SP 4.2

Post subject: Re: 3Par F400
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

evan631 wrote:

Evan - that is amazing. I hope its not running anything mission critical at that age, or it could be considered elderly abuse.

Replacing the boot drive on a node requires the Node Recovery process. Are you certain that the Service Processor is required for that task? I have seen techs do that via Serial connection on the node, with the right credentials/password.