HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: e200 how to replace battery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:10 am 

Hello.

We have an out of maintenance 3par e200. It has been powered off for about a year.
I powered it on yesterday and I can only access via web and ping the SP. I checked and I have a light on that indicates battery failure and another light that indicates a hardware failure.
I am assuming they are both indicators that the battery is dead. The other IP I cannot ping but it is cabled properly. Also when I run cli commands via the SP it says that the other IP is down or the CLI service has not been started.

Question is how do I get access to replace the battery. I have checked HP site and our old documentation but I do not see what needs to be taken out to gain access to the battery.

Any suggestions.
Thanks
Brian

Post subject: Re: e200 how to replace battery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Brian,

I have never seen or used a E200 before, however many of the google and ebay hits refer to it as a "POWER SUPPLY NODE E/F CLASS" part # 641227-001 which leads me to believe the parts and instructions might be interchangeable between a F200 and E200, but I don't know that for a fact.

The docs for the F200 show that the battery is located inside the power supply and is accessible by removing the power supply from the chassis, then removing the 2 screws with a #1 philips screwdriver, and opening a trap door on the top.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 4.59.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 4.59.15 PM.png [ 18.66 KiB | Viewed 21368 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am 

Hi Richard:

I will take a look at it today or tomorrow. I will reply back once I have had a
chance to poke around.

Thanks for the feedback.

bg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 am 

well it seems you are correct.i have removed the power supply and opened it to find a battery pack (well it is encased in some more bolts).

I was expecting to see a small battery like in a camera.. guess not.

Is there any reason to believe that the system would NOT function if this battery was dead?

bg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

None of this post is intended for a production system, the assumption is that this a test/lab system with no critical data.

The batteries are a safety to preserve write cache in the event of a power loss. I think it will "function", but you will likely lose data in the event of a power disruption. It might be possible that the battery is fine, just beyond its expiration date. You can check that with "shownode -ps" and "showbattery"... and I believe you can manipulate the exp date with "setbattery".

"Batteries Plus" might be an option to take the old packs to be refurbished or repaired.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm 

Richard Siemers wrote:
None of this post is intended for a production system, the assumption is that this a test/lab system with no critical data.

The batteries are a safety to preserve write cache in the event of a power loss. I think it will "function", but you will likely lose data in the event of a power disruption. It might be possible that the battery is fine, just beyond its expiration date. You can check that with "shownode -ps" and "showbattery"... and I believe you can manipulate the exp date with "setbattery".

"Batteries Plus" might be an option to take the old packs to be refurbished or repaired.

Thanks.. this is a system we are trying to securely wipe all disks. But I cannot get the software up and running. For instance the CLI process is not running and will not start.

bg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

I've never done this... just throwing the idea out there in case the requirement is simply to secure erase them with out any care in the world for their continued usage in the E200, pre-disposal.

Skip the nodes and fixing Inserv, try attaching the disk shelf(s) directly to a host/hba set for arbitrated loop... should be able to see all the disks individually on the fiber loop, then you can nuke them with your favorite OS/software.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm 

Richard Siemers wrote:
I've never done this... just throwing the idea out there in case the requirement is simply to secure erase them with out any care in the world for their continued usage in the E200, pre-disposal.

Skip the nodes and fixing Inserv, try attaching the disk shelf(s) directly to a host/hba set for arbitrated loop... should be able to see all the disks individually on the fiber loop, then you can nuke them with your favorite OS/software.

Ok.. I may try that route. I had to do something similar with our old EMC.
Thanks for the advice.