HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3PAR OS 3.3.1 MU1 is released
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm 

cbuxton wrote:
Thanks for the info. I suppose that really means July/August. Just FYI for anybody trying to upgrade, your CPGs need to be re-created and all data moved in order to get DECOv3 functionality where you gain the data efficiency. The problem we ran into was that we had existing TDVVs and the dedupe database in the CPG does not shrink even if there is free space within the database. That means if you are more than 50% full you will need to move data off until you are below that threshold - this is the process we had to follow and it's almost reminiscent of the data destructive update of the EMC XtremeIO back in the day. In the end we went from an array that was 90% full down to 50% with 3.3.1 - very happy with that, but the process was ugly.

That does not sound promising for me either, we've had 3.3.1 since the 8450 arrived last year on that code and been using deco volumes from the start. I really hope I don't have to get additional disk space to allow this fix to be implemented, we are still not getting great performance gains on this array as expected when it was sized.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 am 

aDelaloy wrote:
the reason I was given not to go to 3.3.1EMU1 was :
During the upgrade process itself , in some cases the array had to be completely stopped; leading to unscheduled downtime (and an angry customer).

I'm glad to see that at least you were given a good reason.
I had 8 8440's scheduled for the 3.3.1 upgrade, 2 got done before the abort was called.
More over, they even advised us to immediately setsys disabl comp & dedup on those 2 8440's and but also on our 9450's (who came shipped with 3.3.1 a few months ago), which makes me curious if it's something more profound and underlying in 3.3.1 code (not just the upgrade process)

aDelaloy wrote:
it's supposed to be resolved with 3.3.1 MU2, which should be released in june2018.

They told us May 2018 :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 pm 

We had a few scheduled that got halted as well...just after we upgraded a few. Mine were 7ks so I assumed it was due to that being the issue. Anyway, I asked HPE if my existing arrays were at risk...and if not...lets get to upgrading. Anyways, what I got back from them was it wasn't a technical issue. Most likely a resource issue.

I believe engineering is focusing all their attention on MU2. They don't want to have to make any more patches for MU1. With the other issue out there with 7k arrays using dedupe v1 having issues going to 3.3.1, I think they just want upgrades to stop for now. There is also a major push to get all arrays off 3.2.1 and lower codes. I think they want all their upgrade techs working on getting those done. I have a few and they email me constantly. After MU2 comes out I think they will start upgrading again (obviously)

There is an exception process to get 3.3.1 MU1 and I'm going through it now since I need 16T+ VVs ASAP.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 am 

Got an update from an HPE engineer, MU2 will be available in May.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm 

I guess the question will be how long after MU2 is released do you wait to start deploying? Based on the track record of 3.3.1 GA, EGA, MU1, and EMU1, there will need to be some patches before I start deploying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm 

cbuxton wrote:
I guess the question will be how long after MU2 is released do you wait to start deploying? Based on the track record of 3.3.1 GA, EGA, MU1, and EMU1, there will need to be some patches before I start deploying.

Personally i've been waiting at least 2 weeks from release before applying. I've seen too many of them released and pulled a few days later to want to be the first person to upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 pm 

Patch 25 is available for 3.3.1 EMU1 !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am 

cbuxton wrote:
Thanks for the info. I suppose that really means July/August. Just FYI for anybody trying to upgrade, your CPGs need to be re-created and all data moved in order to get DECOv3 functionality where you gain the data efficiency. The problem we ran into was that we had existing TDVVs and the dedupe database in the CPG does not shrink even if there is free space within the database. That means if you are more than 50% full you will need to move data off until you are below that threshold - this is the process we had to follow and it's almost reminiscent of the data destructive update of the EMC XtremeIO back in the day. In the end we went from an array that was 90% full down to 50% with 3.3.1 - very happy with that, but the process was ugly.

As a follow up, we are now in this exact same position. Original 3par 8450 was on 3.2.2 code, using no compression but dedupe on some volumes. Since we have transitioned to 3.3.1 mu1, I can't even create new luns in the old cpg with dedupe turned on. The only option is to create a new CPG and move the volumes into it, we are lucky in the fact we had a storage purchase coming up anyways but I am shocked no one from HPE mentioned that it completely disables your ability to create new luns with any of the features enabled.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 am 

Marc.mvh.vanhoof wrote:
Patch 25 is available for 3.3.1 EMU1 !

It is, however we got word from our HPE ASM to still wait for MU2 before reenabling deco services, based on feedback from 3PAR Labs.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm 

The endless drama continues with 3.3.1.
I had one of our 7400s upgraded to 3.3.1 EMU1 back in February without issue, now I tried to schedule another, identical, 7400 for upgrade and support wont upgrade it. The array doesn't even have any data on it, so I've told them over and over I'm not concerned about any unexpected node reboots during upgrade, etc. The fact that they wont allow an upgrade at this late of a date is alarming, makes me wonder what additional problems HPE is finding with this disastrous code?

Has anyone heard anything new regarding problems with 3.3.1 on 7K/10K? Or heard anything about MU2 availability? Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next