HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Doing OS Updates yourself
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm 

Good afternoon all.

Any of you out there doing 3PAR OS updates yourself? I was going to do some of the missing patches I have but got scared when I read we shouldnt do it ourselves. I have done Service Processor updates myself without a hitch but am not sure on the 3PAR OS updates and what that all entails.

Is there any easy way to figure out what are small patches that wont disrupt anything versus patches that may disrupt things? I obviously know that large updates (i.e. 3.2.2 MU4 to MU6 for instance) should probably be left to HPE to do but would like to do the smaller ones myself if I can.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Doing OS Updates yourself
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

I assume your array is not under contract, is it in production?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 am 

As I'm now up to 7 arrays with some not customer critical I've started doing occasional self updates on the smaller ones. Mostly because of the 4-6 week delay in getting support to do it x7 arrays gets a bit tedious.

Self install is only supported on the 7000, 8000 and 9000 arrays and personally I'd still leave MU and version change updates to support as they often have a few hidden extra steps.

So I'm only looking at Pxx patches and normally look at critical/recommended ones. There's a doc on the support site with the basic process, make sure to add the latest Update_Tools patch before to help with any new checks.

Read the release notes for each, some may not apply to your setup and be careful about drive firmware updates as these sometimes get withdrawn. I'd wait a few weeks after a release in case of bugs appearing and probably not do production/critical arrays first. ;)

The Infosight pages now help to highlight which patches are critical on which arrays rather then having to try to keep track of them all by hand and there's also a new summary doc on the SPOCK pages with lists of all patches for each OS version.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
I assume your array is not under contract, is it in production?

We are under contract and it is in production. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am 

I recommend you call support to schedule and enable infosight in your 3par so you know which patches are critical/mandatory/optional

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 am 

Yes, I've done a few on a 7200. Fairly easy (assuming your 3Par is healthy), the scripts do all the work. The hardest part is determining the order in which they should be done but even here if you try to apply one that has a pre-requisite the system informs you and will not continue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 pm 

I've done MU and 3.2.2 to 3.3.1 upgrades on the 7000 series. Prior to the 3.2.2 code, there tended to be hangups needing internal shell scripts to get the upgrades to run. Since 3.2.2, official documentation is a bit light and you need to use need to flip between spcust and spvar to get the upgrades to install. Always read the fine print on the patches for the prerequisites and test the install on a non-production array first.

Started to learn how to do our own last quarter after repeated denials for 3.3.1 on the 7k arrays. Had some empty arrays serving a second life needing 50TB VV.

All our arrays are still on production support, but most if not all will be going third party next go around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am 

Patrick wrote:
I've done MU and 3.2.2 to 3.3.1 upgrades on the 7000 series. Prior to the 3.2.2 code, there tended to be hangups needing internal shell scripts to get the upgrades to run. Since 3.2.2, official documentation is a bit light and you need to use need to flip between spcust and spvar to get the upgrades to install. Always read the fine print on the patches for the prerequisites and test the install on a non-production array first.

Started to learn how to do our own last quarter after repeated denials for 3.3.1 on the 7k arrays. Had some empty arrays serving a second life needing 50TB VV.

All our arrays are still on production support, but most if not all will be going third party next go around.

Be weary, we are/were a 3rd party 3PAR provider that does our own updates and provides our own support. We are no longer allowed to do this and apparently HPE is pulling that back for everyone. So in theory nobody buth HPE is allowed to do support on 3PAR machines anymore.

That being said I do all updates on our 100+ 3PAR systems from V400 to 20k myself.